Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mid May Updates




+$117.82 NoIQ cashback
+$101.40 FTP rakeback

Profit = $1256.81

Back from my holidays and spent some of the greatest days of my life this year on a beautiful resort with a splendid beach. Back to the grind and sadly still not able to log a massive volume. Nonetheless things are looking cool as of now. As of yet an ipod classic and a camera is on its way, courtesy of the very useful FT Points that I've happily dumped. Great stuff from poker.

There are a couple of things that I'd like to achieve this month, namely:
1) kick-start and clear my coaching back-log
2) write up more on my poker "book"
3) put in the biggest month ever for this year
4) hitting my 100k hands mark (since december. another 7k more hands to go)
5) Study well for my philosophy module
6) Have a great holiday/study balance

Couple of goals are already on its way in this seemingly busy month. Somehow I feel so much more alive when I'm busier, yet I also yearn for the slow paced, easy going life that has been pampering me over my holidays in Malaysia.

On a poker related note, I realise one mistake newer players make is that they constantly sweat the small stuff instead of worrying of the bigger picture. Very often we see newer players wondering what to do with a given hand in a given situation. Whereas personally and i suppose regular players play poker in a different view.

Instead of worrying about a specific hand, worry on the bigger picture instead. A good general advice is somewhat like this. "you assume a handrange for your opponent, and then you take the most +EV decision you can aganist his handrange"
The later part of the advice will come in terms of betting lines and sizes. When you start thinking in a broader manner, most decisions will be almost automatic and standard, and it rarely involves specificities. While situations may vary, concepts in poker go a long way. Looking poker at a different and broader angle does somewhat simplify a seemingly simple but deeply complex game.

I'm also facing a dilemma of my own, after starting to open up my coaching services. While I'm glad that there are many new and enthusiastic players who are eager to discuss poker with me on a private level, I've to balance the interests of my students together with the interaction of these eager players. After rationalizing with myself and my trusted gf, it became clear of where my initial priorities should be. I have to be fair to my students who are putting their money in good faith that they will learn and gain something valuable out of their experience, that will put them in good stead ahead of other players without this learnt knowledge.

I'd strongly advice players to make full use of forums available, be it 2+2 or pkaki, for fruitful discussions. The onus is on the player to learn, and not via spoonfeeding and waiting for something to happen or to trying to get some quick advice from some other players. I'll still see myself contributing to public resources but as for private materials, i'll have to reserve them to cater more to the needs to my students for now.

Well thats it, wishing everyone to have a great May at the poker tables!

No comments: