Saturday, December 15, 2007

Run bad, Tilt, and Comeback




PT stats: (for new database)
15460 hands
Won: $514.75
2.47 PTBB/100
32.73 hrs played
$15.73

Rakeback: $224.89

Profit since 1st nov on old database: $350

Total profit: $ 1089.64


Okay, I ran badly and tilted at around 10k hand mark. It was really silly, considering then, I was putting my money when I'm ahead, and getting out drawn by 2 outers, 5 outers, etc etc. I thought I was playing real bad, and it kinda made me tilted. Obviously the results ain't that good, just look at the graph, it sickens me.

I then decided to revamp my game and work on just 4 tables of 100nl from the 12k hand mark. I decided auto-pilot isn't the best for my own development, and hence playing just 4 tables. I've been developing better reads, and am no longer afraid putting my money in with any two cards given my reads. One of the key improvements I felt was that as a poker player, you really need to trust your own reads on your opponents. This is something I couldn't really have done when I was 8 tabling and on auto-pilot mode. 8-tabling ABC poker still netts a decent winrate for me though, but poker sometimes become a chore 8 tabling. You just feel like a robot going through the rounds. Perhaps when I start playing better, I'll go back to 8 tables and just grind it out.

Lessons learnt:
1) Tilt can be costly and time consuming. You just have to make up your losses with more time and hands.

2) Trust your reads. Results may be slightly off, but it's important to trust your read, and make decisions based on them. Losing a pot while going with your read is okay. I don't normally post hands because most of them dont really merit discussion, but below is one which I would not have normally done if I'm autopiloting.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players

LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter



CO: $68.65

BTN: $100

SB: $33.90

BB: $104.30

Hero (UTG): $136.05



Pre-Flop: T T dealt to Hero (UTG)

Hero raises to $3.50, CO calls $3.50, 3 folds



Flop: ($8.50) K K Q (2 Players)

Hero bets $5, CO calls $5



Turn: ($18.50) 3 (2 Players)

Hero checks, CO checks



River: ($18.50) 8 (2 Players)

Hero checks, CO bets $16, Hero calls $16



Results: $50.50 Pot ($2.50 Rake)

CO showed J T (a pair of Kings) and LOST (-$24.50 NET)

Hero showed T T (two pair, Kings and Tens) and WON $48 (+$23.50 NET)





Firstly, pair board hardly hits anyone, however there is a flush and straight draw and in reality, this board hits much of villians calling range. My tens have very little equity in this pot here. Initial plan was just to cbet and give up on pot. However villian called my cbet superquickly, a significant tell that villian has either a weak made hand, or on a draw (quick calls is most indicative of draws at these stakes).

Turn goes check, quick-check. On river, none of the draws complete, I can bet out or check-call, check-fold. I decided to check, and villian tanks before making a fairly large bet. Trusted my read and called his bet. Luckily it was spot on and I took down a pot.

3) Swings can be brutal and harmful for your short term game. I had this 2 hands consecutively on the same table, me having KK vs AA preflop all in, on two consecutive hands against the same player. I'm totally fine with losing a 100bb stack preflop aganist the preflop nuts with KK, but to do it twice in consecutive hands can be damaging. The winner of both hands actually told me he felt really bad about it, but likewise I would too if I am in his shoes.

I've suffered more bad beats, and could have posted all the hands if I wanted. But to be honest, no one is truly interested in your badbeat story. We tell them to make ourselves better. This is the reason why I don't post such hands. In my opinion, bad beats, suck outs are contributors of your winrate. Your winrate (assuming you are a winning player to start) has to account and provide provision for suckouts and badbeats. Until one can learn to accept this idea, one can start accepting badbeats as commonality. It's okay to whine once in a while about your badbeats, but take it from me that no one really seriously care about your badbeat stories.

No comments: